General Information
Phone Numbers
Emergencies: Dial 911
225 North Beaumont Road,
Suite 210
Prairie du Chien,

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Marriage License

The following information should help you in preparation before applying
for your marriage license.

Out of State and Wisconsin residents can apply at any County Clerk’s office in Wisconsin.  The marriage may then be performed in any county in Wisconsin.  

  • Crawford County Clerk, Administration Building,
  • 225 North Beaumont Road, Suite 210
  • Prairie du Chien, 608-326-0201

APPLICATIONS TAKEN:  Marriage license applications are taken in the County Clerk’s office, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Both applicants must apply in person.  The office is open over the noon hour.  The Administration Building is closed on Saturday, Sunday and legal holidays.

MARRIAGEABLE AGE:  Any person who has attained the age of 18 years may marry.  If a person is between the ages of 16 years and 18 years the license will only be issued with the written consent of the parents, guardian or custodian.  Consent forms are available at the County Clerk’s office and must be signed by both parents or guardians in front of a notary public or the County Clerk.

WAITING PERIOD:  Applications must be made at least 3 FULL days before a license is issued.  The 3 day waiting period begins after the date of application and ends on the 4th day, which is also the issuance day.  Keep in mind that licenses are not issued on weekends or holidays.  The ceremony may take place on the date the license is issued or any time within the 60 days thereafter.  The 3 day waiting period may be waived upon prior approval of the County Clerk for an additional $10 fee.

DATE AND LOCATION OF MARRIAGE:  Applicants should be prepared to provide the date of the marriage and the correct spelling of the officiant’s name and address.  The applicants should also know the municipality (city, village or township) and the county in which the ceremony will take place.

MARRIAGE LICENSE FEE:      $75 – Cash or check only.

REQUIREMENTS:  Any documents not in English must be translated by either an official professional translator or by a third party.  A form is available from the County Clerk’s office.

  • Applicants must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.  A certified birth certificate must bear the official embossed seal.  We cannot accept photocopies, certificates issued by hospitals or baptismal records.
  • Copies of judgment of divorce and legal annulment papers from the last previous marriage must be presented.  It is not lawful for any person, who is or has been a party to an action for divorce in any court in this state, or elsewhere to marry again until 6 months after the judgment of divorce is granted.
  • A signed certified death certificate must be presented if your last previous marriage was terminated by death.
  • Social Security numbers must be provided if the parties have a Social Security number.
  • Proof of residence must be provided.  Your residence for marriage license purposes is where you physically lived for the past 30 days.  A current driver’s license with a current address is the best proof.  If this is not available, each applicant must provide 2 proofs of residency.

CEREMONY:  Any ordained clergyman of any religious denomination or society, licentiate of a denominational body, family court commissioner, court commissioner may perform the ceremony.  The two parties themselves in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations or any religious society, denomination or sect to which either party belong.  Any officiating person must be at least 18 years of age.

  • Neither our office nor the State Vital Records Office is able to confirm the legality of a religious officiant.  
  • The marriage must be performed in the presence of two (2) competent adult witnesses (18 years or over) other than the officiating person.  Only one (1) competent adult witness is required if one of the parties is serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or in forces incorporated in the U.S. Armed Forces, in a reserve unit of the U.S. Armed Forces, or in the National Guard.  

WHO MAY NOT MARRY:  No marriage shall be contracted between persons who are nearer of kin than 2nd cousins (except where the female is 55 years of age or older, or where either party, at the time of application for a marriage license submits an affidavit signed by a physician that either party is permanently sterile.


Roberta A. Fisher, Crawford County Clerk

Rose Ziel, Chief Deputy Clerk

Rose Dull, Deputy Clerk